Perhaps you’ve of a little thing called Fortnite? If not, well… you officially have homework.
We purchased ~40 Nerf guns from hasbrotoyshop.com, laid down some different colored tape throughout our library, gave whistles to all staff members, put boxes everywhere, and let ’em at it.
Oh, and we had a T-Rex. Because why not?
We played for about ninety minutes, but the teens would have been perfectly happy to play for the entirety of the four-hour After Hours Event™.
A few more details:
→ It was very easy to set-up a tax exempt account at the Hasbro Toy Shop, and we mostly just purchased the 3.99 single shot guns, along with extra darts. I signed up for emails and got a really great discount, and have not been bombarded by emails since.
→ We used different colored masking tape (available at craft stores) for the boundaries, placing them on the floor in increasingly smaller circles, and used the library PA system for the announcements about arena shrinkage (ie, in two minutes, you must be inside the yellow circle or you will be eliminated, etc).
→ A map of the library was provided, so they could plainly see that they weren’t allowed behind circ, to hide in the bathrooms, etc. If we do this in our meeting room, I won’t give them a map, since the “drop zones” (which they drew from a basket) will be visible throughout the arena.
→ Blowing the whistles was super fun. Really loud, but fun.
→ We had an area designated for those who were eliminated – I recommend placing that somewhere they can see the action, because they were super into watching.
→ We did lots of variations – singles, duos, teams of 3 and 4, start with a weapon but scatter before it begins, etc. They’ll come up with lots of ideas.
→ If they won, they got a “Winner Winner Chicken Dinner” pin, which yes is from PUBG but they thought was awesome.
BATTLE ROYALE RULES (as read to participants):
1. Throughout the library and marked on your map are your drop zones. Everyone/every team will draw their drop zone, and at the sound of the whistle you will proceed there to find weapons & building materials
2. All weapons, ammo, and materials are in plain sight – nothing is hidden behind books, shelves, desks, etc. DO NOT enter any area that is blocked off, and DO NOT go behind any desk. If you are discovered in any out-of-zone area, you will be eliminated.
3. If you are hit, you are down and must be revived by a team member. You must immediately drop to your knees, although you may move away from the action and take cover. In order to be revived, one of your team members must tap you on the back.
4. If, however, you are hit again before a team member revives you, you are eliminated.
5. Staff members in the gray shirts will act as referees. A blow of the whistle means a violation has occurred; do as the referee says, whether that is going down, being eliminated, etc.
6. As time goes on, the arena will begin to shrink. Pay attention to the announcements to learn which circle to report to.
7. Anyone outside of the circle when the clock winds down will be eliminated.
8. There are building materials throughout the arena. You may use these as shields, or build a fort to defend your team.
9. Alliances are permitted, however, there can be only one winning team.
10. We will play this multiple times, invoking variations of single player, squad play, & other fun surprises.
11. The T-Rex is invincible. If you are attacked by the T-Rex, you are eliminated.
This was incredibly fun for all involved, and we will definitely keep doing it until the Battle Royale genre disappears. My biggest piece of advice is this: If you haven’t played or watched Fortnite, PUBG, Blackout, etc, do so before you plan this event.